Friday, October 30, 2009

Some Lit. For The Kiddies...

It's been some time, I know, but my lil' one had surgery and so I devoted all my time to him these past two weeks. Anyhow, spending that time with my lil' man reminded me how much I adore children's lit. Even took some classes in college. So, I figure I'll review some here for any moms (or dads) who are looking for some great pieces (old and new) to read to their kids...




This first piece comes from John Burningham, the man behind the masterpiece classic picture book Mr. Grumpy's Outing. It offers an answer to a common childhood mystery: Where do pet cats go when they leave the house? Little Marie Elaine, curious to find the answer, follows her kitty Malcolm into the city one special night. The covert trek leads to a night of fantastical discoveries and adventure. The story is whimsical and the artwork beautiful. An elegant trip into the imagination.
THE INFO: It's A Secret by John Burningham. (Candlewick) Ages 3-6
A couple others your child may like:


Japanese Children's Favorite Stories by Florence Sakade and Yoshisuke Kurosaki (Tuttle).
~All of these short stories teach smart lessons. A great way to encourage discussion and talk with your child about the meanings afterwards.



The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Scholastic)
~ A spellbinding mystery with very cool filmlike illustrations.




No comments:

Post a Comment