Monday, October 5, 2009

Jim Butcher ... Furies of Calderon

As a premiere post, I figured I'd start with a fantasy series my good friend Mr. J passed along to me:
Title: Furies of Calderon
Author: Jim Butcher
Publisher: Ace Paperbacks (2004)
Reading Level: Young Adult/Adult
Rating: Loved it!
Summary: In the realm of Alera, where people bond with the furies--elements of earth, air, fire, water, wood, and metal--fifteen-year-old Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. But when his homeland erupts in chaos--when rebels war with loyalists and furies clash with furies-- Tavi's simple courage will turn the tides of war.
Review: Furies of Calderon is the first of a series of 6 books, the next which will be released this November. It's a great start to an epic fantasy world and I shamefully admit I read all 5 books in less than two weeks. :0) Butcher's choice of elemental magics works well with the characterizations; He put the strength of the characters first, their powers second; which translates into extremely likable characters. The fury system itself (command of the elements) is a unique magical construct and made for a refreshing fantasy series. Lots of suspense, war, and there's just enough romance to keep a lady happy. Blends a bit into the Sci-Fi, but not by much.
I heartily recommend Furies of Calderon along with the rest of the Codex Alera Books. It is an entertaining series that rewards fans with meaningful characters. The book is fast-paced, with multiple, simultaneous storylines keeping interest alive. I'm anxiously waiting for the 6th installment!

2 comments:

  1. Love the layout and sidebar! Great first post, too. Can't wait for some great recommendations!! Have you heard about the read-a-thon? One of the book bloggers I read occasionally mentioned it: reading for 24 hours...dream come true, right? Oh, and I love the quote by Scott Corbett. I will probably end up sharing that with my students before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this book awesome. You should try Jim Butcher's other series too. It is just as good. Harry Dresden is awesome

    ReplyDelete